- Take the haddock fillets and cook in the oven at 200°C/180°C/gas mark 5 fan for
8-10minutes, or until the fish is cooked through, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. Remove the skin from the haddock fillets and flake the flesh into a bowl, throwing away any bones.
- Meanwhile, cook the Aunt Bessie’s mash using the instructions on the pack. Once made, mix in the flaked haddock, gherkins, capers, onion and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With slightly damp hands, divide the mixture into eight equal portions and shape each one into a small cake. Roll each cake in flour, then dip in the beaten eggs and roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. Place the fishcakes on a plate, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for one hour or until set.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark
5-6.Place some greaseproof paper on your baking tin and spray with a little oil, then put your fishcakes on top. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes,turning them over half-waythrough.
- For the poached egg, bring a pan of salted water to the boil then turn it down to a simmer. Make a whirlpool in the middle of the pan, crack your egg into it and let it cook for
2-3 mins.Then lift it out, let the water drain off and place on top of your fishcake.
- Serve with a light salad and a slice or two of lemon.