- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large
non-stick frying pan and fry the sausages gently for 10 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned all over. Transfer to a large saucepan or a flameproof casserole dish and set aside.
- Fry the bacon pieces in the frying pan until they begin to brown and crisp then add to the sausages.
- Place the onions in the frying pan and fry over a medium heat for five minutes until they start to soften, stirring often. You should have enough fat in the pan, but if not, add a little more oil.
- Add the garlic and cook for
2–3 minutesmore until the onions turn pale golden-brown,stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle over the chilli powder or smoked paprika and cook together for a few seconds longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and herbs.
- Pour over the wine, or some water if you’re not using wine, and bring to a simmer.
- Tip carefully into the pan with the sausages and bacon and return to a simmer, then reduce the heat, cover the pan loosely with a lid and leave to simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Drain the beans and rinse them in a sieve under cold running water. Stir the beans into the casserole, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick.
- Once it’s nearly ready, take your Aunt Bessie’s mash and cook this according to the instructions on the bag.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with the Aunt Bessie's Mash Potato.